Starting an eCommerce business has been an avenue for entrepreneurs to diversify their investment portfolios. As the internet becomes more accessible and people look for convenience in how they purchase things, eCommerce companies have been popping up which offer products at lower prices compared to retail stores.
The fastest-growing sector in retailing today is online shopping. It has been foretold that online sales will overtake sales made in physical stores in the next decade. Moreover, eCommerce businesses are rapidly growing at present. Therefore it is an excellent business to enter into.
Starting an eCommerce business will require you to have knowledge of marketing, website design, and search engine optimization (SEO). You must also have experience in customer service.
Some large eCommerce businesses consider interviewing an eCommerce consultant and hire individuals with knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to be able to respond quickly if there is any complaint or question about their company on these websites. Armed with this knowledge, you should be well on your way to starting an eCommerce storefront of your own.
To Recap, what is an eCommerce business?
An eCommerce business is a company that sells products via the internet. The products may be tangible goods such as electronics, clothes, books, or groceries, or intangible items such as entertainment or services. Ecommerce businesses typically implement a website and a payment system with a form of electronic commerce in which the merchant collects brief customer information.
Are you still not sure if you want to start an ecommerce business? Then,
Take A Look At Some Of The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Starting An eCommerce Business
- You can do what you want when you want. If in a situation where you’re in a stressful environment, an eCommerce business allows you to work from home or anywhere with an internet connection. You have more control over your schedule. Also, since it’s done online, no need for commuting!
- Your income is not fixed! There are good months and bad months in business, but it’s up to you how much profit you make per month. Businesses that operate retail stores receive a fixed salary every month because of their employees. With an eCommerce store, even though hiring people is optional, if you find additional workers, you’ll be able to increase your sales volume and your income.
- No need for an expensive storefront! Unless you need to have a storefront to sell your products, there is no need for expensiveness in renting a store or paying high prices for commercial real estate. With an eCommerce business, there are no monthly rent payments and much less overhead costs when compared to brick and mortar businesses.
- No limit on the number of products that can be sold! The more products available, the higher chances of making a sale. There’s no limit in an eCommerce store, so it’s only limited by one’s creativity in product development!
- Requires lots of knowledge about marketing, website design, and SEO before starting out – The main reason why people fail at Ecommerce is because they do not put enough effort into marketing and SEO. Weighing the costs and benefits between spending a lot of time on marketing VS getting an additional job will be essential for you to decide whether you should go through with it or not!
- You must know customer service if you want to succeed – This is extremely important in having a successful eCommerce business. Customers will always complain, and therefore, good customer service can make your company stand out from other competitors in your industry.
- If you do not have the right products, this could result in losing money quickly instead of making profits – You don’t just open an eCommerce store without doing research first because otherwise, chances are you’ll be buying/selling low-quality goods resulting in lost investments. This is the most common reason why eCommerce stores fail.
- Lack of support – Most people are too proud to ask for help, even if it will save them time and money. Even though you can do everything yourself with enough knowledge, there is no harm in getting assistance from other individuals/companies that have more experience than you.
There are advantages and disadvantages to starting an eCommerce Business, but so far, the pros definitely outweigh the cons! Of course, it all depends on your personal situation whether this kind of business fits what you’re looking for or not. There’s always room for improvement, so feel free to tweak your eCommerce Business.
Choose Your Business Model
When creating your own eCommerce business, the first thing you need to do is figure out what type of business model you’ll use. There are three main types of eCommerce models: dropshipping, affiliate marketing, and white labeling.
Dropshipping means selling products by having them shipped directly from a producer or wholesaler without including any inventory. This is the easiest way to create an eCommerce business. You’ll be able to start right away without worrying about not having the product because it’s shipped directly from the manufacturer to your customer.
- Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing means selling other people’s products by including your own affiliate links on your website. You only link the product you’re selling and then receive a percentage of each sale that you made or get paid per view on video advertisements or article content you’ve written and posted online.
It takes longer than drop shipping but can also generate more profits when done correctly since most eCommerce platforms offer digital products such as guides and courses that don’t require shipping.
- White Labeling
White labeling means selling a product with your own brand name. Most people think of white labeling when they think of private label products for Amazon, but it’s important to remember that you can also do this on your own website or with your own branding.
The benefit of doing this is that all the money you make from each sale will be completely yours since no one else is making money from the product.
However, this option usually requires a large amount of cash to invest in made-to-order products, which means you’ll need more startup capital than dropshipping and affiliate marketing.
Choose Your eCommerce Platform
With many eCommerce platforms online today, choosing the right one is key when starting a business.
Here Are Five Of The Most Popular Options:
Free open source shopping cart software that provides a fast way to build your own eCommerce store from scratch without any coding knowledge needed. It’s simple and user-friendly interface makes it easy for users to add new products using drop-down menus or by simply typing in the product information. While there is no official mobile app for this platform, there are mobile apps that provide the same functions as OpenCart; some examples include StoreApp and Cart66.
- Fuel Retail
Retail space is a free eCommerce software option that does not require any technical experience to install and use. This means you won’t have to worry about hosting fees or modifying the shopping cart yourself, which can cost extra money and time throughout your campaign. In addition, mobile apps available on Google Play and iTunes allow users to monitor inventory, receive updates on new arrivals, check the pricing of products sold by other retailers, and more.
Magento Community Edition is an open-source eCommerce platform with flexible merchandising tools available through various functionalities such as promotion calendars, downloadable products, and free shipping offers. The biggest advantage of Magento is that it can support most platforms, including iOS and Android devices.
eCommerce business owners who don’t want to worry about hosting fees or security issues can use Shopify. This platform provides prebuilt themes for users’ convenience as well as multiple apps available at the Shopify App Store available for download to improve store performance. One notable downside of this software is that you cannot create your own customized theme with this program – all the designs are assigned by the company.
As an eCommerce plugin on WordPress, WooCommerce integrates seamlessly with particular plugins such as PayPal directly from the WordPress dashboard despite not requiring any coding knowledge from the user. In addition, this platform offers a free mobile app for iOS users to sell their products and services even when they’re on the go!
With so many possibilities available, choosing the best eCommerce business software for your needs comes down to individual requirements such as security, ease of use, and features needed. Visit each website to learn more about how it works and if it could be a good fit for you!
eCommerce businesses have become more popular because of the various benefits that one can get from them. These benefits include a lack of physical store limits and low investment costs compared to a retail shop or franchise.
In addition, less labor is required at the first stages of a startup because all functions can be automated using third-party applications compatible with an eCommerce business platform.
To build a successful eCommerce business, you need lots of knowledge, especially in marketing and SEO. However, there’s no limit on how much profit your online store can make as long as you put enough work and effort into it.
If you do not invest the time and money needed to develop a good eCommerce storefront, there is a higher chance that it will close down without even making profits.
With hard work and the right strategies, however, an eCommerce business can become very successful! You have complete control over your business, so this might be the opportunity you’ve been looking for! Good luck!