When you work from home, you go into a weird twilight zone. When you’re in the office, you want to be at home and you envision yourself working harder and better in the comfort of your pyjamas and sofa. When you’re at home working, you yearn for people, for the commute, for the ability to split your life between the office and the house. It’s a paradox and all of the lines we draw between work and home become blurry and wavy – and not something that we intend to happen.
Right now, we’re in the throes of a pandemic and accessibility to work at home has become available. We’re all working hard and trying to manage our jobs while also managing the kids and housework, and this isn’t always easy. It is easy, however, to become overly stressed and worried about keeping up with all of the plates that we’re spinning. Instead of the stress, though, we should be working on how to destress and relax while we are able to work at home. Below, we’ve put together some of the ways you can wind down and relax while you’re working in the house.
- Create Your Own Workspace. Yes, it’s lovely to sit on the sofa and work with the laptop on a mini table, but it’s not always the best way to work effectively and productively. You need to have your own desk where you can keep all of your work equipment, your stationary, etc. You can even keep essential oils in your steamer on the desk to truly embrace the ability to relax! You need to create a space that makes you feel comfortable and motivated to get through your tasks for the day. If you have the space for an office, go for that!
- Set Hours. If you set yourself a timetable for splitting work with home life, you are far more likely to stick to it. Giving yourself a clear timeframe to work within is going to make a huge difference to the way in which you relax while you work. With timelines and deadlines, you need to know that you are able to get your work done without freaking out that you are too pressured and panicking because of it.
- Move! You need to take regular enough breaks that you’re not just sitting and staring at a screen all day. Exercise is important for your stress levels as it will help you to burn off all of that excess adrenaline coursing through your veins. You want to be able to feel good while you work and exercising throughout the day is going to help you to do that.
- Meditate. Yes, you’re at work and yes, it’s important that you concentrate, but instead of worrying about concentrating on your work all day, you have to be able to focus properly. Stopping to take a few minutes to meditate every day is going to give you a moment to quiet your mind and stop all the noise flowing through. You want to know that you are finally thinking straight, and you can do that when you take pause.
- Outsource. If you’re able to outsource the chores for the home, do that and stop stressing over one more job. There are only so many hours in the day and when you work and have kids, somethings gotta give! Outsource the things that you don’t have time for and let someone else take over.